100-400 GM - Weak OSS / Image Stabilizer?

Started Aug 16, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
telljcl Forum Member • Posts: 54
100-400 GM - Weak OSS / Image Stabilizer?

I've been trying out my pre-ordered copy for a week or so.

Without going into a long list of other things I've noticed, in comparing this lens to my adapted (MB IV, Sigma MC-11 adapters) Canon 100-400 II, one thing that seems to stand out is that the image stabilizer or "OSS" - is much less effective than the Canon implementation. I've been using the lens on my A7RII and A6500 bodies.

I've noticed already quite a number shots that have serious motion blur (due to my movement, and / or the lens' inability to compensate for it). Out of literally thousands of shots with my Canon, I don't recall having ANY that were really, really bad like this. Yes - if you shoot 320/s or higher things seem OK. Yes - I'm sure I had some shots that the Canon IS couldn't compensate for completely - but I'm talking about really blurry (not OOF) shots that I just really rarely ever see with the Canon (or anything I use frequently for that matter). I don't often push it with low shutter speeds either, but sometimes you need to - that's what IS is for after all.

I shoot most of my shots (both lenses) at 400mm, and try not to shoot slower than 100/s if possible. Getting down into that SS range on the Sony and I'd estimate I'm getting about 40-50% that are motion blurred to some extent, some pretty bad, that wouldn't be (or wouldn't be nearly as bad) using the Canon.

I understand some people have steadier hands, shooting styles etc, but mine is what it is and I haven't changed it. I've only changed the lens, and I've taken thousands of shots with my Canon 100-400 II.

So while this doesn't have to be a deal breaker, my main question to others who have the lens (and hopefully the Canon also), is: Do you notice the same thing?

I want to make sure this is "normal" for this lens, and that my OSS isn't out of adjustment.

Thanks for any feedback.

Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow