Wedding Photographers And Blown Out Skis/backgrounds

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Krav Maga Contributing Member • Posts: 629
Wedding Photographers And Blown Out Skis/backgrounds

I've been perusing some wedding photographer sites and one thing that I've noticed is a predominance towards massively blasted out skies and backgrounds. Usually, the compositions and exposures of the subjects are pretty good, but, man, the backgrounds tend to be quite over exposed. Often times the overall images tend to be over exposed; for my taste anyway.

I've never done wedding photography nor do I have a desire to, but I imagine that it's quite a challenge. However, what I don't understand is on many of these sites in their couples/families/engagement galleries, they tend to have that same look with the blasted out skies/backgrounds. I would think that under these more controlled situations there would be much more examples of well balanced shots.

I'm curious, is this a "look" that is currently in vogue? Is it a matter of having no desire to become competent with off camera flash in order to achieve more balance? The reason for that question is because on a few sites I've seen where the photographer talks about being a "natural light" photographer or something along those lines.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from anyone--especially wedding photographers--regarding this.

Krav Maga's gear list:Krav Maga's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow