RX100M2 File Naming

Started 6 days ago | Discussions thread
Enders Shadow Senior Member • Posts: 1,291
Re: RX100M2 File Naming

Bryan Boulier wrote:

What products write "tags" into the EXIF information on JPG's?

There are multiple utilities that can edit EXIF data. A quick search will find one that will match your needs and platform. If you use PIE, there's a commercial version that allows editing tags.

However, I would not attempt to use EXIF data to catalog your pictures. For starters, it's a incredibly inefficient to search through individual files, especially for a large collection. And, there are limits to what you can stuff in EXIF tags.

You really want use some sort of database. A database can contain far more details and remains searchable even if your pictures are offline. I do use Lightroom, but it's not my primary management utility.

I am hoping to go back through pictures in in the next year or so and provide information to those who may someday wonder about the names of folks in the photos or their locations. I am looking for an efficient way to do that. I don't like to use proprietary databases for this purpose.

The LR catalogs are actually a SQLite database and can be queried without the program.

Years ago I cooked up my own image management tool. It greatly simplifies entering all the details I want included. The data it contains is as valuable as the pictures themselves. It can export flat human readable files. Its major strength is its custom search capabilities not offered by commercial products.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Enders Shadow's gear list:Enders Shadow's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow