anecdotal observation of depth of field with micro4/3 and FF

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 434
anecdotal observation of depth of field with micro4/3 and FF

Disclaimer: I do not think Micro4/3 and FF will yield the same DoF with "equivalent lenses".  And I do not think the two sensors are equally efficient.

I took some portraits with an A7Rii and the Sony 50/1.8 the other day and was very pleased with the results.   I then thought it would be fun to replicate the images with an EM1/2 with the 45/1.8 knowing the background would end up narrower.

I was surprised to see the background blur and "Bokeh" ended up very comparable when the subject took up the same amount of the frame.  I then realized the Olympus was a 90mm effective focal length instead of 50mm, even though the lens was much smaller, so faces my be less "rounded", but I did not see much of a difference there either.

This got me to thinking.  As long as I don't mind the narrower field of view and background - which is blurred anyway - the micro4/3 camera is a nice alternative that will yield a similar DoF look in a smaller lens package.   It won't satisfy those who think images need to be "equivalent", but it shows that in a pinch a smaller format with longer lens - that may actually be smaller- will give you very satisfying results.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow