Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
davev8
davev8 Senior Member • Posts: 2,664
6D and 6Dii raw files wanted

Hi

you will be happy this is not a flaming the 6Dii thread

what i want are 2 raw files 1 from each ..both of the same scene with same lens and the same exposure....preferably a landscape at 100iso with fine detail and from shadow to bright highlights preferably on a tripod

i will tell you why ....sites like DXO and others that test cameras and pull shadows x amount of stops etc don't give the complete story

i will give you 2 examples

one ...i have a 5Dmki and was looking at a A6000 (if a remember correctly ) to replace my nex 3c for a travel cam... i noted on DXO that the ISO on the much newer sony APS-c was bang on the same as my very old FF 5D

so i downloaded several landscape raw filas from the A6000 and i find when i edited them and gave the photos the nice rich colors i have come accustomed to from my 5D i find especially the blue skies, that thay was a bit noisy to the extent i had to sometimes use noise reduction on the sky ...i had NEVER done that on my old 5D at base ISO... also the OOF backgrounds was not as smooth but almost look like i had over sharpened them ....so on paper the A6000 ISO was as good as the 5D..but not after PP..to my taste

case 2

back in the day i get a 40D to replace my 20D but found it noisier when viewing the imagers at the same size ..after PP...i did get flamed down in the forums for suggesting this ...but hear me out ....i noted very quickly that the imagers was softer on the 40D...i guess a stronger AA filter i also found the tone carve must be different as i needed to dial in between -1/3 and -2/3 EC most of the time to protect the highlights ..i never did this on my 20D or 5D ......this meant that the shadow and mid tones needed lifting the same 1/3-2/3 of a stop in PP...old canon sensors are not too good at this so did not help the noise ..then when the extra sharpening was applied as the photos was softer this compounded the noise further...so in the end i was unable to get as nice looking photos from the 40D as the 20D and sold it ...but on paper the 40 was better

So back to the 6Dii...i see it produces much sharper images than than the 6Di ...this means maybe less sharpening..so not lifting noise unnecessary so ..it also means sharpness can be traded for noise reduction

So what i am saying i need to play with RAW files from both cameras to see how they respond to my PP ..it would be nice if some one shoot some for me from both cameras ...or point me to some that i have missed

thanks

-- hide signature --

My 5D IS a MK1 classic
..........................................................................................................
There is no argument for FF vs APS-c (or m43) with shallow DOF..as it's a law of physics and a very subjective personal thing if you want to make use of the shallow DOF only FF can offer
...........................................................................................................
You are joking ....i have a sony nex ...i think the designers was an anti photographer sadist ...the only way to make it more less enjoyable to use would be to superglue a drawing pin to the shutter button...pin up

davev8's gear list:davev8's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Minolta DiMAGE Xi Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Nikon D70s +13 more
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow