Help with lens selection; SAL2470Z(2) and SAL70300G(2)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
J Danley Junior Member • Posts: 31
Help with lens selection; SAL2470Z(2) and SAL70300G(2)

Hello everyone.  I'm awaiting a lightly used A99 Mark I to arrive in the mail.  I have a vertical grip and an HVL-F43M flash to accompany it.  I have a lot of older Minolta glass that is compatible as well.

I am interested in two lenses to accompany this setup.  The first is the Sony Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 SSM (SAL2470Z) and the second is the Sony 70-300 f4.5-5.6 SSM G (SAL70300G).  I like that these two lens will have faster, quieter focusing and better IQ than a lot of my Minolta glass.  I know that Tamron and others make good, cheaper alternatives but I like that the Sony branded products take advantage of some of the A99s features like AF-D.  I figure those two lenses would cover a nice focal range and they are well reviewed.  It seems that zooms are getting nearly as good as primes these days for many purposes.

My questions are;

1) Do you foresee these two lenses being good pieces of kit to accompany the A99 and suitable for most shooting situations?

2) Is there a big difference between the SSM and SSM II versions.  Is the second generation SSM worth the price premium.  I do like the better weather sealing that I hear the SSM II lenses have.

3) Any idea what are reasonable prices for used complete examples of each?  From what I've seen, the SAL2470Z is around $1100, SAL2470Z2 is around $1600.  The SAL70300G is around $480 and the SAL70300G2 is around $900.  Does paying those prices seem reasonable to you?

3) Any other considerations I should have regarding looking through the newer lenses of today?   Its been decades since I bought any glass and I was exclusive to Minolta in the past.

These are big purchases but ones I intend to only make once.  These lenses should out live the bodies they are bought for.  I just want to make sure I'm making the best decisions for me up front so I don't regret it later.   Thanks so much for your insight and help.

J Danley's gear list:J Danley's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G SSM II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 SSM II +7 more
Sony Alpha a99 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow