Any way to fix banding with Panasonic 20mm with electronic shutter?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mentos77
mentos77 Regular Member • Posts: 409
Any way to fix banding with Panasonic 20mm with electronic shutter?

As soon as I bought the lens I realized it has massive banding - big dark horizontal lines moving up the screen. I was just outside the store inside a mall and the salesman knew straight away what it was. It was the lighting combined with using the electronic shutter on my Panasonic G7. So I went to mechanical and that fixed it.

I assumed it was normal as he recognized the issue immediately and I remember seeing forum post titles about banding with this lens before (although that may be a different type of banding with certain cameras). Plus the shutter speed was particularly high so I assumed I would usually have it much slower, which helps.

But I would also like to use the lens for video, which uses the electronic shutter. Occasionally I need to up the shutter speed. So I tried at 1/160 and other speeds and the banding in video is terrible. It seems I can only go up to 1/100. It is rare I need to use faster, but sometimes it has to be done. Even at 1/100 at the very start, there is a bit of weirdness like the banding.

Below is an example of the banding. Ignore the overall quality- I quickly edited it to show the dark lines better which move up the screen. By the way, this is a brand new copy of the version II of this lens, but I left testing it too long to take back to the store.

Besides using a slow shutter speed does anyone know how to avoid this?

I can use mechanical shutter for photos but not videos, it seems banding is inevitable indoors.

Any experiences and/or fixes with this would be much appreciated.

Otherwise, it seems really strange this is the first time I have heard of this issue with this being one of the most owned M43 lenses; so could I possibly have a defective lens? In which case I may still be able to take it back to the store.

I just spent a while comparing it to my other lenses for photos and it is getting too late to keep testing video today. Before checking the video I was delighted with the lens after pixel peeping and was all set to have it replace 2 primes. But now I am scared I am stuck with a lens which is no good for video indoors. Please advise.

mentos77's gear list:mentos77's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Micro Four Thirds
ANSWER:
Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow