Using GX7 and Laowa 7.5mm f/2.0 for Milky Way

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
wiryawan
wiryawan Regular Member • Posts: 183
Using GX7 and Laowa 7.5mm f/2.0 for Milky Way

SPOILER ALERT: The photograph with the house was a combination of two photographs of different exposures, blended together using Photoshop using masking layers and such. However, the Milky Way only photograph is purely just from a single exposure.

So yeah, I was able to test the Laowa for some long exposure Milky Way photography this week and I've been very pleased with the result. This is all that I ever want. Granted, I don't live in a city with low light pollution level, and I just shot this as best as I could near where I live. But with some processing, I think the combination of both the GX7 and Laowa 7.5mm f/2.0 has the potential to produce stunning night landscape or wide field astro photographs.

The GX7, while not really ideal for long shutter night photography, produced good enough result in my opinion, but it needs to have the Long Shutter Noise Reduction turned on, which doubles the time needed to finish the photograph, otherwise the image would be very noisy even at ISO 200. The Laowa while having lots of vignette, flare issue, and some corner sharpness issue at f/2.0, is more than good enough for shots like this, at least for me. 7.5mm is really wide, so I can crop the image a bit to get rid of the vignette and corner sharpness issue.

Overall, I found that I am quite happy with this combination of body and lens for my low light landscape needs.

This is the Photoshopped one. Both exposures were treated in Lightroom first before being exported as layers in Photoshop for blending. I cropped the image to get rid of some flares and heavy vignette. But I added vignette again in post, duh! I'm a vignette person, keep that in mind...

Now this is just a single exposure, treated in Lightroom, then got some noise reduction from Nik Dfine2, then cropped.

-- hide signature --

Best wishes,
Gary
ig: bejophotography
blog: http://bejo-photography,blogspot.com and http://bejophotographyblog.blogspot.com

wiryawan's gear list:wiryawan's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough 3000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +11 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow