Bad Experience with Oly Repair Service

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
WalterK Senior Member • Posts: 2,677
Bad Experience with Oly Repair Service

A few days ago I posted a thread about the lens hood of the Oly 40-150Pro self-destructing. Today I called the Oly repair service, as the lens is only about a month old.

I am 1500 miles from home, spending time in the north woods of Minnesota. The man answering the phone at Oly said I need to send a copy of my proof of purchase of the lens in order for them to repair or send another lens hood. I told him that when I registered the lens on the Oly site that I had to send them a copy of the receipt, and that he could check that on line.

He said that that registration of the lens on the Oly website "has nothing to do with warranty service, it is just a promotional device." I said that I do not carry proofs of purchase on my trips, and offered to buy a lens hood if I could receive a refund under warranty when I return home. He said that is impossible, and that I should call home and have somebody there email a copy of the receipt. I said that is not possible, but that he could call the camera store where I purchased the lens and they could send him proof of purchase, but he said he could not. I will not have access to my receipt for another 3 weeks, so I am left without a $40 lens hood with close to $9000 of new Oly equipment in my bag. Not quite a good business model for Oly?

Anyway, please make sure you have copies of your receipts with you, as well as stored on your phones or laptops, and don't be fooled into thinking that registering your info on Oly's website will protect you, even though they require a proof of purchase to register the equipment.

Grrrrrrr!
Walter K

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow