I know this is not a very scientific

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Richard Craze Forum Member • Posts: 76
I know this is not a very scientific

I know this is not a very scientific test but I was just wondering how the kit lens that came with my Fuji X-T2 camera (18mm to 55mm) performs against the kit lens that came with my Nikon D7200. This is the 18mm to 105mm lens. I set each lens to the 35mm focal length. I than made three exposures at F11, F8 and F5.6. All images are from the RAW files that have only had the standard Light room sharpness applied, amount 25, Radius 1.0, Detail 25 and O for masking. Each camera has the same amount of pixel (24 mega pixels) so they should be delivering the same amount of detail. From what I can tell the Nikon lens is giving me a lot more detail and it's also a lot sharper. So is the X-Trans sensor not resolving as much detail as the Nikon sensor or is it just the lens? The thing that gets me is the way the Nikon lens / sensor has picked up the texture in the cardboard box. With the Fuji this cannot be seen at all, it just very smooth looking. Before anyone asks, the cameras are on a a tripod, the VR on each lens was off, the Nikon was in mirror up mode and I used electronic cable release with each camera. I even tried three exposures using the Fuji electronic shutter but this made no difference to the sharpness or detail to when I was using the Fuji mechanical shutter. Each camera was focused on the blue band with the words PlayStation 3 Peripherals written on it. I tried manual focus but I ended up using the cameras autofocus in the end as I was getting much sharper results that way! I love using the Fuji but I'm wondering about the Fuji sensor?

Richard Craze's gear list:Richard Craze's gear list
Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +6 more
Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow