X-Transformer settings.

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Elyharbour
Elyharbour Senior Member • Posts: 1,789
Re: DNG / LR ?

Ambulater wrote:

The only caution I have is in regard to using X-Transformer to sharpen the DNG files. If you do that, then the sharpening is baked in and doesn't give you much room to tweak in LR. It seems better to NOT sharpen in X-Transformer. Let X-Transformer do the demosaicing, import to LR and sharpen there.

This is the basis of Recipe 1 in the Thomas Fitzgerald book (which I thoroughly recommend and gives excellent advice on how to use IXT and what the options mean). I developed a scene over the weekend with lots of urban detail, and greenery. I could pull out the same level of detail with just LR5.7 and the detail slider (I don't just push it to 100% however), but the IXT DNG (unsharpened) looked more natural to me when moderately sharpened in LR afterwards. Even the scenic preset in LR worked well. I don't think I'd use IXT all the time, but only for important shots and even then, when needed.

Elyharbour's gear list:Elyharbour's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X30 Canon G9 X Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
RAD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow