Hiking with M43 and a Question of Lenses

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NCV
NCV Senior Member • Posts: 5,242
Hiking with M43 and a Question of Lenses

When ever I  can, I get up into the Apennine mountains above where I live to hike. It keeps me fit and sane. Its nice to take a camera along to record what I see.

I started with a D70 with the nice 18-75 kit lens it came with. Gear creep soon set in and I found myself with a D300 and 3 heavy lenses. It was getting too heavy and even a plastic fantastic lens at the long end did not solve the problem.

It was getting too heavy, so I got an EM5 with the 12-35 soon expanding to a trio of 2.8 zooms plus a macro. The 7-14 I find a bit heavy for hiking and it sometimes gets left at home. I wish I had not sold the lovely little Olympus 9-18 which was lightweight.

I played with taking just an LX100 with me but I like long lenses in the mountains so this choice was discarded. The LX100 leaves little room for PP to compared to the EM5.

I seem to have settled on the 12-35 and the 35-100 as my hiking kit each with its own body to avoid changing in dusty exposed places. This works quite well, but I can only have the 12-35 out of the rucksack and to use the other lens I have to stop and unpack the other camera. 90% of my shots are taken with the 12-35 anyway.

I have a 14-140 Mk1,  and I am thinking about just taking that with me. It worked very well when I explored the Po valley by bike.  But it it is quite heavy and that irrational image quality fear makes me plump for the two 2.8 zooms that are optically better.

I can see no place for primes. I like to frame in camera, and in the mountains zooming with your feet is most often impossible.

Weight is important to me as It gets very hot in our mountains in the summer and I have to carry a lot of precious water.

What do you carry on a day or longer hike?

Here are some shots from my last hike. To have the 35-100 was useful for the sheepdog shot. But probably just taking the 12-35 would have been sufficient.

River crossing

Tosco Emilian Apennines near Civago RE

Below Monte Prado. The dog was alone with the sheep.

Maremmano sheep  dog. these dogs are to protect the sheep from wolves. They do not like humans either. He was always between me and the sheep.

Cusna from Monte Prado

Down at the lake below Prado.

An old shot where a long lens is unbeatable for mountain photography.

Libro Aperto MO

-- hide signature --
 NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Nikon D300 Nikon D70 Panasonic LX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow