Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD with Sony A77II - Mistake?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Michelle92 Junior Member • Posts: 42
Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD with Sony A77II - Mistake?

So i ordered the Tamron 85mm f1.8 today to go with my Sony A77II because i wanted a portrait lens. I was also considering the Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art and the Tamron 45mm f.1.8.

But now i'm starting to wonder if i make a mistake. I know that it's an Full Frame lens that also works with crop bodys, but i didn't really consider that this lens might not be right for my intended use with an APS-C sensor. I read somewhere that it would actually work as an 136 mm f/2.7 with the body i have. So i'm guessing this means i won't get the same, creamy, nice blown out backgrounds as with a fullframe camera with this lens?

So maybe it would be better to get the Sigma Art or the Tamron 45 mm since they would be closer to the 85mm on a crop sensor?

I couldn't find any sample pictures of the Tamron 85mm with an APS-C sensor.. But i'm afraid i won't get the sort of pictures i want with this lens.

Will the difference in bokeh be huge between my A77II and for.example the A99?

It would probably be good for headshots, but i don't want to use it for headshots ONLY. I shoot mostly people and animals and i like the subject in focus and the creamy backgrounds.

(Looks like i can still cancel my order on the Tamron 85mm but only for a little while longer)

Sony Alpha a99 Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow