DanTravel wrote:

dj_paige wrote:

DanTravel wrote:

2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB

Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

2880x1800

Does this help you?

I've tried it without graphics acceleration and it's a little slower, although barely noticeable.

I'm using the same Library ported from may old laptop, and have Quick Previews enabled as well, and I do have the previews file copies over correctly as well to my new laptop.

I have heard several complaints like this about recent MacBook Pro computers, and to tell you the truth, your CPU may be near the top of the line for Macs, but it's just not near the top of the line CPUs that are available (although I don't know if any of them can be used in Mac computers). And CPU speed (or lack thereof), along with your 5K screen, is probably the cause of the slowdown, that the CPU just isn't fast enough to generate these previews for a 5K screen.

It's not a 5k screen though. A normal retina that's been in many MacBook's since 2012.

Disappointed, because there just isn't a big increase in performance. I'll have to keep using it for a while to see if it's worth it to even keep this new MBP, or return it and continue to use my old one until something comes along that allows me to work quite rapidly within Lightroom.

It is not the laptop's fault, it is Lightroom's fault. I hope you read up a bit on how crappy its multicore optimisation and GPU acceleration is? In Lightroom, from what I gathered through my online research, the most important factors are single core clock speed, RAM and SSD. Quad core won't give more performance than a dual core (equally clocked); a dedicated GPU won't give much performance boost either as Lightroom only uses GPU in develop mode, not in exports. So, the wiser decision would be to ditch Lightroom instead of ditching the MacBook Pro - you'll find these same issue on Lightroom with pretty much any computer money can buy, at least until Adobe decides to build it from ground up with multicore optimisation and system-wide GPU acceleration, which it has little incentive to do due to very low competition.

-- hide signature --

Happy shooting

Kristada673's gear list:Kristada673's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow