My Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX80 got wet! Is there any hope for it?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
EllenH
EllenH New Member • Posts: 11
My Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX80 got wet! Is there any hope for it?

I just got home from Finland where I got caught in a very violent and sudden thunderstorm. It was apparently really exceptional and made the news there. One moment it was somewhat cloudy but not raining, the next moment it was as if a big bucket of water had been poured on us. I tried to protect the camera but was myself completely drenched before I could get to a bit of a shelter (under a tree, in a storm…). Anyway, when we finally made it to a dry place, I tried the camera. It took two pictures, completely unfocused and died. This was last Saturday and now I'm home and the camera is still dead. The SD card was OK and I have all the images I took until the end.

My question is this: is there any hope that it will come back to life after a while? I once dropped my iPhone (not the latest model which is water resistant, but an older one which wasn't) into water and after drying out it worked perfectly fine. Also, how can I know if it is only the camera that is damaged or if the lens (a Lumix 20mm F1.7) is too?

Should I try to get it repaired or is it going to be as expensive as getting a new one?

I've been doing photography for many years and this is the first time this has happened to me. I'm quite sure my previous camera, a Nikon D90, which I still have, got a bit wet sometimes but I never had any problems with it. Obviously, these fancy new machines are quite fragile.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Ellen

EllenH's gear list:EllenH's gear list
Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow