SD14 Focus Stack

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 11,040
SD14 Focus Stack

Prompted by all these SFD posts, I tried a macro focus stack for the first time. First a single image focused on the eyes per the standard advice:

Then I:

converted to 8-bit TIFF in SPP 3.5.2 all w/+0.4 EC all other sliders zero including sharpening (yes, I know . .)

aligned the 9 images (align_image_stack.exe)

Fused the aligned images in focus mode in TuFuse, default settings.

Got this:

Post-processed in RawTherapee RL deconvolution, 0.59 radius, 75 amount, 51 iterations, 21 damping.

A little more acuity - although the fused image was good enough, IMHO, perhaps because I left SPP sharpening at zero.

The bugs were about 2-1/2" from the back wingtip to the front wingtip (pair total) and the sensor image plane was about 21" from the subjects.

I'm hooked on focus stacking for this kind of shot. TuFuse certainly lived up to it's promise!

P.S. the alignment app stripped out the EXIF. Lens was the older 105mm f/2.8 Macro.

-- hide signature --

"What we've got hyah is Failyah to Communicate": 'Cool Hand Luke' 1967.

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma DP2s Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +14 more
Sigma SD14
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow