FZ200: what's wrong with this (and several other) picture?

Started Aug 14, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Coolpix8700 Junior Member • Posts: 35
FZ200: what's wrong with this (and several other) picture?

I'm playing with my 2 weeks-old FZ200 camera. I cannot say I'm satisfied by the quality of the image, mostly when when using the zoom above 200 mm. I took several pictures of family and friends playing volleyball on the beach or the foreshore.

In the shot below (taken in full sun from approximately m 10-12 from the subjects, Program mode, continuous AF, Quick AF ON) while the face of the little boy is in focus and reproduced with a decent level of detail, the head of the girl (that should be on the same focal plane) is definitely poorly defined (look at the ear and the hairs). I tried to use different settings such as Intelligent Auto mode, Shutter Priority mode, Sports Scene mode with mixed results: no more than 1/4 of the shots are satisfying, particularly when pixel peeping on the face of the subject. In most pictures the aperture is 4.0, I guess I should try to close the diaphragm to 5,6 to get a wider depth of field.

Any other suggestion?

Below are the relevant EXIF info:

Exposure time: 1/800 s

F number: 4.0

Exposure program: program

ISO speed rating: 100

Image compression mode: 4.0

Exposure bias: 0.0

Metering mode: Pattern

Flash: Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode.

Lens focal length: 69.3 mm

Custom image processing: Normal process

Exposure method: Auto exposure

White balance: Auto white balance

Focal length in 35 mm film: 385 mm

Scene capture type: Standard

Gain control: None

Contrast: Normal

Saturation: Normal

-- hide signature --

Coolpix8700

Coolpix8700's gear list:Coolpix8700's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 Canon PowerShot SX240 HS Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +4 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow