Do I really need a Red filter?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
OP btolley Contributing Member • Posts: 752
Re: Do I really need a Red filter?

Island Golfer wrote:

It really depends on how bright the day is; how reflective the sandy bottom is; but mostly, how deep you are. When you are very shallow, say from being on the surface of the water down to 9 feet, the white balance in your camera will most likely be sufficient to correct the blue-green that the red filter is designed to correct; and a red filter will probably do nothing more for you. Below that depth, loss of color becomes more noticeable; and the auto white balance of your camera won't help correct this much. Water absorbs light as we descend deeper, starting with the red spectrum. And, don't forget that some of this unwanted color can be edited out in post processing (especially if you shoot in RAW). It doesn't sound like you would have much need of a red filter for the trip you are planning.

-- hide signature --

truview

Thanks,  I will definitely be shooting RAW and editing in LR.

Brett

-- hide signature --
 btolley's gear list:btolley's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony a99 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow