A truely versatile video camera

Started Aug 13, 2017 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
DMKAlex
DMKAlex Veteran Member • Posts: 5,223
A truely versatile video camera

Because of brand loyalty, I was waiting for Nikon's DL series to be introduced. I was excited about the 120 fps slow motion and 4K capability. And the $650 price tag fitted right along my budget.

Needless to say, I was very disappointed when it was delayed numerous times and finally declared dead.

I was zooming in the Panasonic LX10 which was introduced right at that moment. But I was finally swayed after reading the in-depth review from DPR Roundup.

I stayed with my budget by buying a slightly used RX100M4 and I had found a lot more reasons to love this little camera since owning.

Here are the reasons and I haven't found any other brand come close even at a lot higher price:

1. Slow motion capability (120, 240, 480, 960 fps, etc.)

2. Decent image stabilization

3. Tilting LCD, up and down

4. EVF

5. Smooth autofocus in video mode and smooth zooming (smooth and quiet in both counts)

6. Total manual control (aperture, shutter speed, ISO and focus)

7. Auto ISO

8. 4K capability

9. Short zoom lens(I don't want any of the super zoom, which is not meant for video)

10. Built-in ND filter

I think the ND filter, Auto ISO in video mode and the slow motion capability are the three area that really make this camera shine. I can't image shooting 1080p24 @ 1/50 sec without ND.

It does, however, has its share of shortcomings.

It has an overheating problem in hot weather with 4K. It has limitation the video length (file size). It has a relatively short battery life. But I don't find them show stoppers with my style of videoing.

It also has Sony's notorious hard to understand manual. The on screen manual is not intuitive. The buttons are too small and jammed together (it's a small camera). But you do get used to it fast in the first couple of weeks. Although I still find myself pushing the wrong button after a year.

I bought this camera primarily for video. But in the rare occasions that I used it for still photos, I have not been disappointed with the quality. But for still photos, I am still going back to my Nikon D800.

DMKAlex's gear list:DMKAlex's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IV
20 megapixels • 3 screen • 24 – 70 mm (2.9×)
Announced: Jun 10, 2015
DMKAlex's score
Average community score
Panasonic LX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow