Always shoot RX10III with open aperture!

Started 1 week ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hodronen New Member • Posts: 2
Always shoot RX10III with open aperture!

I took my RX10III to a session of photos of a nice hill, using a tripod. I had set ISO=100 for the entire session and shot RAW.
When I came back home and opened it with Win10 default Photos, it looked terrible, as if the photos were taken with a 2MP sensor and not 20MP. Luckily, all the missing details showed up once I switched to a different viewer.
So I switched to Picasa, and it did great with the details, but sometimes it did terribly with the colors. Blue sky were turned into light gray. This is a major no-no
So I decided to experiment both indoors and outdoors, in order to get the most out of my next session. I took ~100 photos isolating Aperture & ISO at ~60mm, and examined the photos at 400% magnification. The primary conclusion was that open aperture consistently yielded clearer photos (ISO=100 + tripod).

Conclusion #1: Almost always shoot with aperture priority at 2.8. The theory says the opposite, but the reality with this camera is that lower is better (I went till 3.5).
Conclusion #2: Never use Windows Photos application for raw images.
Conclusion #3: Do not trust picasa, not even a bit for the colors
Conclusion #4: I switched to JPEG, it is more standard, and I could hardly see any differences between RAW, Extra-fine-jpeg, and Fine-jpeg. Certainly prefer JPEG if you do not post-process your photos using Photoshop or whatever.
Conclusion #5: I was disappointed to see that ISO-NR (4 photos --> one) is not any better than open aperture.

Ronen.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 III
20 megapixels • 3 screen • 24 – 600 mm (25×)
Announced: Mar 29, 2016
hodronen's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow