On Why the D850 is Revolutionary

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
starbase218 Regular Member • Posts: 271
Re: On Why the D850 is Revolutionary

Iain G Foulds wrote:

... The D850 is revolutionary because it significantly pushes the existing boundaries in every important area. Most importantly, it enhances the skill of the photographer. It does not obsolete the skill of the photographer.

... Most of what people are looking for in "revolution" are aspects that exclude skill- eye recognition AF, 20 fps, endless buffer, etc. Even the grail of an endlessly smaller, lighter body is part of this desire to eliminate any effort at all.

This reminds me of something. Not too long ago, I switched from Pentax to Nikon DX. I made the decision after playing around with a D7100 or D7200 in a shop, about a year ago. The AF was so much in a different league compared to Pentax that it almost felt like I was cheating. At first, I felt like, "is this still fun?" Then I realized that I'm not in photography to shoot a certain brand, or even to develop skills. I'm in photography because I'm interested in the end-result. And if another brand or technology makes it easier to get there, what do I care if, at the beginning, it feels a little like cheating?

On some Pentax forums, people will argue that you can get similar results with Pentax AF if you develop the skills to work with it. I now bought a camera that makes that less necessary and allows me to focus on things like composition instead, and I have no problems with that whatsoever. Quite the opposite I would say.

starbase218's gear list:starbase218's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow