Data Backups & Redundancy

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Cookra New Member • Posts: 2
Data Backups & Redundancy

Hi all, my first post.. Thought i'd throw in an open question to see what advice comes back.

I'm an avid photographer and have been fro some time, grew up in the darkroom with dad as child and now 43 years later have my own children and the obligatory darkroom (all be it provided by Adobe;)

I mainly shoot images of the girls growing up and like to record family life. Ironically, even though dad was a professional photographer there aren't many photo's of us as children.

So i've collected around 30k photo's over the years and more than 2tb of video. Last year I was diagnosed with stage 4 throat cancer and through an epic battle i'm now in full remission. Out of this experience my priorities and focus has changed somewhat. I now appreciate the moments in life that matter and have become more focused on family life and living for experiences.

As part of this, the realisation of how much my digital collection means has led me to think seriously about data persistency.

So what would you do?

I have a lot going on, but not so sure my workflow is correct or doing what I need. I'd like some advice on the setup, the RAID configs and if i'm backing up the correct drives - such as should i be backing up weekly from the working or daily, or should the NAS be coming from the daily, working or weekly...

Camera

1. Canon 5d MkIV
  2. Lexar 128GB 1066x CF Cards

Computers & Accessories

1. iMac - 4.2GHz 32GB DDR4 2TB SSD
  2. Macbook Pro
  3. Macbook Air
  4. Wacom Cintiq 27HD Touch
  5. Lexar HR2 Four bay HUB USB 3.0
  6. Carbon Copy Cloner

Storage

1. 8TB G-Tech Thunderbolt 3 USB-C RAID
  2. 6TB LaCie Thunderbolt 2 2big RAID
  3. 6TB LaCie Thunderbolt 2 2big RAID
  4. 6TB LaCie Thunderbolt 2 2big RAID
  5. 6TB LaCie Thunderbolt 2 2big RAID
  6. 3TB Apple TimeMachine (Baking up OS only)

NAS

1. 24TB DS1817+ 8x3TB Drive Synology 2.4GHz 8GB

Portable

1. 1TB LacCie Rugged USB 3.0
  2. 1TB LacCie Rugged USB 3.0
  3. 4TB LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt 3 USB-C
  4. 4TB LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Current Data Workflow

Working

8TB G-Tech Thunderbolt 2 RAID (RAID 0)

This is our working drive and holds two folder Photography & Video Configured as RAID 0 (Striped). All work and importing is done on here.

The drive has a watch folder via Adobe Lightroom that automatically imports new assets into the Lightroom Library.

Backing Up

Daily

2x 6TB LaCie Thunderbolt 3 2big RAID (RAID 1)

1. Daily backup of Working Photographic folder above set to RAID 1 3TB
  2. Daily backup of Working Video folder above set to RAID 1 3TB

Weekly

2x 6TB LaCie Thunderbolt 2 2big RAID (RAID 1)

1. Weekly backup of Working Photographic folder above set to RAID 1 3TB
  2. Weekly backup of Working Video folder above set to RAID 1 3TB

NAS Backup

24TB DS1817+ 8x3TB Drive Synology 2.4GHz 8GB (SHR btrfs)

Daily Backup of working Photographic and Video

Setup for 2 Disk fail redundancy

Offsite

LaCie Rugged are used to rotate the working and weekly Drives

Cloud

Backing up working Drive to Google gDrive

So, loads of kit, loads of Data.. Thanks for reading through, any thoughts comments are welcome!

I'd be particularly interested in any software you use and how you are using it to run the automation.

Cookra's gear list:Cookra's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T6i Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L III USM +10 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow