Travel Photography and Travel.

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NCV
NCV Senior Member • Posts: 5,105
Travel Photography and Travel.

This article in the Guardian Newspaper did not surprise me very much when I read it. I live in Italy and have had experience of what mass tourism is like. I can understand that there is starting to be a backlash.

I spent part of my Honeymoon in a sleepy quiet Cinque Terre many years ago. I made the tragic mistake of taking some relations to this summer hell hole a few years ago.

I often see on this forum (and others) posts here where somebody has done a trip to Italy. I often click through out of curiosity to see how others see where I live. Nine times out of ten I see those same three or four places in the same order. Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre and to finish off Venice. I suppose you could say the same thing about most countries just changing the names of the cities ( I come from Bath another hotspot). BTW I often see some very nice pictures.

One of the interesting things I found in the article is where the writer talks about exploring places near to home. I have practiced this for years on the little half ( one day work - one day off) holiday I take in July. The internet can throw up some incredible places that hardly anybody knows about like this UNESCO site that I had much to my self a couple of weeks ago just two hours up the Autostrada. I have explored the Italian Apennines where one can walk and perhaps see just one person in a days walking . Or how about having a perfect Renaissance city much to ones self, just an hour away from the packed Verona.

I went to Florence for work in late November and had a nice day with few crowds when I skived off for the rest of the day. So it is still possible to enjoy the "classic" destinations. But for how long?

I was in Verona a couple of months ago to catch a concert. I wandered around the crowded city in the evening. I turned a corner and found myself on a footbridge packed with people with cameras on tripods and an army of people with Cell Phones all taking the same shot. One could not cross the bridge. I was quite shocked.

When we visit another country is it not be better to try to find some more obscure places to visit? I have always had more fun, eaten better and been treated better in other countries when I have visited those places the guide books hardly mention.

Travel photography without crowds is much easier and the results always much better.

Your thoughts.

-- hide signature --
 NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus OM-D E-M5
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow