Will higher pixel count lead to smoother skies?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gannet2 New Member • Posts: 10
Will higher pixel count lead to smoother skies?

I'm not a beginner, per se, but on this question I think I have beginner-level understanding, so help a guy out.

I've shot Nikons since the 60s, and Nikon DSLRs for some years now, D70-D300-D7200. I only use my my work on the computer, so I had not seen any need for super-high pixel counts. But there is one problem that I can't seem to lick. I take a lot of sky photos, and I am very sensitive to any noise or "grain".

Each of the upgrades from D70 to D300 to D7200 obviously had a big increase in pixel count, and with each I got a marked reduction in noise/grain.

I retired not long ago, and the wife and I are traveling the country in a motorhome. Finally, I have time and opportunity to take all the photos I want. With my increased activity has come an increased frustration with the things that are still not "right", and noise/grain is at the top of the list.

Accordingly, I've considered going to a full-frame, high-pixel-count DSLR, like the Canon EOS 5DS, Nikon D810, or the Nikon D850, if it ever ships.

I know most of the pros, cons, and details of these cameras. What I don't know is a straight answer to my main question: will I get *marked* reductions in noise/grain, especially in skies, by making the jump from 24MP APS-C format to 36-50MP full-frame? If so, will there be a big difference between the 36MP and 50MP?

Obviously, I'm talking about possibly going to a whole new system, a major expense. I would appreciate your advice as to whether I am likely to gain the results I seek.

Canon EOS 5DS Nikon D810 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow