Old Speed graphic rivals picture quality rivels digital full frame

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bill Donnell Contributing Member • Posts: 985
Old Speed graphic rivals picture quality rivels digital full frame

As a photographer in the Marine Corps during the Korean War, My Speed Graphic produced amazing picture quality.

The four inch by five inch negative was only limited by the grain size of the film, ISO and developer. Microdol X produced finest grain. I used 100 ISO considered very fast in those days.

The Speed graphic was no slouch. F/35 lens, Adjustable F stops. Between lens shutter. Can't remember max shutter speed after 50 years of non use. For very fast exposure at 1/1000 second was provide by additional focal plane shutter similar to DSLRs.

Focus by range finder by overlapping two images to match. Also distance scale.

For action shots please see a wire frame on the front of the camera and peep hole on the back to frame shot. Shutters must be cocked before each shot.

Ground glass on back of camera will portray image but dark cloth over head and camera needed to view image but image will be upside down.

Has tilt lense

Unlimited time for shutter open.

Negative is inserted between ground glass and camera in a film holder containing a dark slide that must be removed before shot. Also a film pack was available containing several negatives with each moved into focal plane by pulling paper tab. Also dark slide must be removed before shooting and reinserted before removing negative.

I really liked this camera but had nothing to compare it too. Wish I had one now. Would welcome any additions or corrections to this post as it has been such a long time to remember.

Bill Donnell's gear list:Bill Donnell's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Nikon D3200 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow