Can a full frame mirrorless restore trust in the brand?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
The Fat Fish
The Fat Fish Regular Member • Posts: 368
Can a full frame mirrorless restore trust in the brand?

Disclaimer:

I'd like to start by saying this thread assumes the 6D MKII is a disappointment. If you don't hold that view fine, but I'd like to focus on the issue of a new mirrorless camera and not a defence of the 6D MKII. There's already 100's of threads for that.

So with Canon's new 6DMKII being a controversial release and causing many Canon users and first time FF buyers to explore other brands, what can Canon do to re-appeal to those users? Like many I am looking for a reason to stay with Canon and I had hoped the 6D MKII would be my next camera. Sadly it won't be. Also like many I don't want to spend £3500 for the 5DIV.

What I want to know is: Do you think Canon will release a competitive full frame mirrorless camera?

Canon have much of the skill and technology required. Their dual pixel AF is great and 6D MKII excluded, they have some great new sensors. They have also provided a great EVF in the EOS M5. In fact the EOS M5 is a great camera, it's main flaw was the price as Cameras from Sony and Fuji offered better native lens lineups and features for a lower price. Either way, it's still a decent camera.

I think there will be some issues Canon could run into with a new FF mirrorless release. One is implementing 4K video. I think until now this has been a combination of A) Not wanting to and B) Their DIGIC processors not being able to handle it. I think if we or Canon like it or not, moving forward this will be a necessity. Maybe not for your needs but for the sake of market competition.

Another issue is if we go by the A7MKIII rumors (and that's all they are at this point), we are looking at a £2000, full frame, 24MP+ camera with 4K video. This puts the camera much better spec'd than the 6D MKII and not too far behind the 5DIV which could be a problem in terms of Camera lineup. Would Canon drop the 6D MKII to make it entry level price and then fit the FF Mirrorless between it and the 5DIV or would they consider their alternative to the A7MKIII a mirrorless version of the 5DIV and therefore put the price well up?

What do you think?

-- hide signature --

If you're a fan of mediocre landscape photography, check out mine:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alexwedlake/

The Fat Fish's gear list:The Fat Fish's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow