The curse and the blessing of the 90/2 for travel.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
deednets Veteran Member • Posts: 7,241
The curse and the blessing of the 90/2 for travel.

I normally shoot "shorter" to avoid having to step back a metre or two, but thought that I would take the 90/2 for those longer shots where I wouldn't have a choice.

One of the things I wanted to do whilst in Bali was to shoot some dancers. For the Western eye often a tad over the top and during those dancing shows Westerners often leave before the oh-so-hard endurance of typically an hour of what appears to be hours, days and weeks of training etc.

I got in touch with a female-mainly production in Ubud a few weeks ago and asked whether I could meet the people involved before the show behind stage and whether I could take some photos there. That wasn't a problem, I speak enough Indonesian to conduct some small talk and had a chat with them, watching a woman doing her makeup for what appeared to be one hour plus ... The problem was the rather dim light, barely enough to read a paper, so here I abandoned the idea of using the 90/2. Just way too long a lens and didn't want to go past 6400.

Here is one, taken backstage at 6400, but using the 50/2:

All images taken at slower speeds had some motion blur in them, sadly, it was a lively affair, no holding still as in posing etc.

Here is one with some small motion blur, borderline imo:

On stage I thought that the rather harsh light of those floodlight would possibly destroy all intimacy but was surprised to see how the DR reigned in the harsh contrasts well enough in order not to throw out the images straight away:

So I felt encouraged to try the 90/2 a bit more often but in hindsight I should have used a shorter FL as I have quite a selection of images that are ever so slightly "out" where the focus is on the mouth, leaving the eyes slightly oof:

I think the image above I took at F2.8 but clearly a bit too shallow (for all those who think one needs to go FF to get "really" shallow DOF, yeah, right ...)

A fantastic lens for travel I thought but needs to be taken with far more consideration and more careful focusing than I managed to do on this occasion. In hindsight I would have shot this lens differently, maybe even tried eye detection etc. But on my little LCD it looked ok.

Pity that.

Deed

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow