RX1 vs Small 35mm for walk around

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CharlesSQ New Member • Posts: 5
RX1 vs Small 35mm for walk around

First post on the forums, looking forward to becoming a contributing member to this community.

I've had an A7ii for the past year now, used Canon for 8 yrs + before making the switch.

I am currently in a bit of a dilema regarding my next gear purchase. I am mostly a travel/street shooter with the occasional landscape here and there.

My current lens lineup is a 16-35f/4, Batis 25 and Sony 55 f/1.8. I have always wanted a light 35mm FL lens for walk around, or when I simply just want to head out with my camera and 1 lens and not worry about bulkiness or weight.

Because of this I've been considering the FE 35 2.8 due to its small size and weight. I have also considered the Loxia 35 for a bit better IQ and the "zeiss look" but I think I need to rent one out before buying to try out MF while street shooting.

I have an opportunity to buy a pre-owned very good condition RX1. The price is practically identical to a used Loxia (a little less than $1K) and is obviously a couple of hundred dollars more expensive than the FE 35 2.8 which isn't an issue.

I love the capabilities and small size of the RX1, great for a night out or basically taking it everywhere I don't take the A7ii. I understand IQ is second to none. However, I feel the 35 2.8 with the A7ii would bring similar size with the advantage of an EVF and better ergonomics. Having an additional camera to carry around is obviously a disadvantage.

Any suggestions or feedback on these options?

Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony RX1 Zeiss Loxia 35
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow