I really want a X100F but?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
2string Contributing Member • Posts: 798
I really want a X100F but?

I posted a question on the Sony forum... Sony rx1 mark ii of Fuji X100F. This is one response I got. Could someone elaborate on this?

Fujifilm, uses a different CFA, called X-Trans. It's based on a 3x3 grid, where four green pixels are framed by two blue, two red, and one green pixel. This, in theory, creates a 'fat pixel' of 2x2 that is especially sensitive to light (green is the most common part of the spectrum on Earth, and also the color most readily absorbed by silicon), and uses a peculiar deconvolution method to gather color information. Unfortunately, this should be classed as Fuji being different for difference's sake, and not some revolutionary new approach to sensor manufacture. X-Trans is riddled with small, but bothersome issues - moiré, backlighting artifacts, poor software compatibility, mushy greens, and strange texture effects in low light. What's worse, it doesn't really deliver on its promises - Nikon still designs the absolute best APS-C sensors, and they use Bayer. So, unless you mostly shoot JPEG, or are ready to find editing software truly compatible with X-Trans (not Adobe, that's for sure), I'd keep this difference in mind. It's what has stopped me from trying Fuji, mostly (the lack of anything resembling a grip on all their cameras is the other).

What does he mean when he say's " So, unless you mostly shoot JPEG, or are ready to find editing software truly compatible with X-Trans (not Adobe, that's for sure)?

Fujifilm X100F Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow