What telescope for Foveon astrophotography?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Scottelly
Scottelly Veteran Member • Posts: 7,346
What telescope for Foveon astrophotography?

I'd like to shoot photos better than this:

Sigma SD1 Merrill w/ Meade 910mm telescope, shot with a 2x barlow lens

I'm sure I can do better, if I shoot with a cable release and mirror up mode. A better barlow lens might help too. I've been considering a telescope with a wider aperture and shorter focal length though, like maybe 650mm or 750mm. There's a very affordable option, called the Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ-MD. It's a 130mm aperture telescope with a 650mm focal length, which would be 1,300mm with a 2x barlow lens in place. I think that might be perfect for shooting the moon with the Sigma SD Quattro H. Since the telescope would be f5 without the barlow, it's a really bright telescope, which would be much better than the Meade 910mm f8 telescope I've been using. The Celestron I'm looking at is under $250 too. What I really like about it is the motorized German equatorial mount. (That's the style, not that it's made in Germany. It's probably made in Taiwan or China.) The electric drive mount has adjustable speed, and can be set up to track the moon. I found the moon was moving so fast last night, when I made the photo above, that I have to use fast shutter speeds with ISO 800, or the photos would be blurry. If I try to shoot photos of the Andromeda galaxy, Jupiter, Saturn, or a nebula, I can't even imagine the results. I guess I just couldn't do it with that telescope.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/545212-REG/Celestron_31051_AstroMaster_130_EQ_MD.html

Does anyone have any suggestions for a telescope that might be better than the one I'm considering?

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
http://www.bigprintphotos.com

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Olympus TG-860 Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +14 more
Sigma sd Quattro H Sigma SD1 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow