notes from retirement : #2 Pros Concentrate on your assignment ONLY

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
oldfashioned Contributing Member • Posts: 507
notes from retirement : #2 Pros Concentrate on your assignment ONLY

I'm retired (2 months now) and bored and everything so I'll write a series of notes to my colleagues, all from real stuff happened in 20 years in advertising plus 10 years in sports.

note#2 : concentrate on your job, on what's expected from you ONLY

1. deliver ONLY what you've been asked. Don't overdue, don't try to impress

2. Discuss the work with your people, with the agency people, with the Client. THEN go for it. Dismiss ANY external voice during the job. Don't pay attention to anything else than your job. Concentrate and deliver.

During a shoot there may be many voices involved, all around. But what counts is You and You only.

Some will offer (even if not requested) advise: dismiss them all.

If you have amateurs or external people on the set then ABSOLUTELY keep them out and for no reason try to be polite and pretend to listen: they will move idiotic questions, try to interfere but remember that your work ONLY will be evaluated, they will disappear immediately after the work.

That said I remember many mistakes that I made and all were avoidable with a little more experience: the most common was to deliver more than requested. Almost all the issues that I had were related to that. If for example they ask for 4 looks of a product then you deliver 4 looks. Not 5 because you think that 1 more would be cool, not 3 but 4.

A revealing moment was for me to receive a call (from my agent but if doesn't matter) asking to please stay within the requested production. More "stuff" only creates inconvenience and confusion.

Lesson learned.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow