Improving low light non-posed candids / portraits from distance

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Basilfawlty1981 Forum Member • Posts: 52
Improving low light non-posed candids / portraits from distance

In 2015 when I went from IPhone photography (I know, the blissful days of ignorance before gear lust) to DSLR (first model used D5100 with a kit lense) I was amazed how much better one could shoot in low light (club, bar, unlighted garden...) conditions. At some point I then also discovered primes and now have a Nikon 85 1.8 (G) and a 135 2.8 (old manual). I also love being sufficiently far away in order for the person not being aware of being photographed, and thus having natural face expressions etc., and generally the sensor of my D7100 does the job of allowing me to take good photos in a point and shoot style when being 3-5 m away. It has very decent ISO capabilities, and some photos do come out really good, and my amateur take away is that the biggest factor is patience (staying in the background for a few minutes, letting people talk, and then wait for the giggle or the discussions with the interesting face expressions etc.) rather than the gear. So I decided against a 85 1.4 or anything really really expensive.

I sometimes hear that when using FX cameras one gains 'one stop' of light. I am not going to change from my D7100 to the D7500 or the D850 when it comes out, but am sometimes thinking about a used D610 or D700, or waiting for the next entry model of the FX series, if it ever comes (i.e. a kind of D620...).

But the key question is, can I expect this to have a significant effect ? Or are the sensors for now as good as it gets and no improvement to be expected over the D7100, that I could notice it on an amateur level on an A4 printout.

I had gear lust for a while last year, the timing of which badly combined with my annual bonus, and have now a set of lenses of various ranges, which I am very happy with and for now don't see myself getting major amounts of new gear.

Basilfawlty1981's gear list:Basilfawlty1981's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +8 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D5100 Nikon D610 Nikon D700 Nikon D7100 Nikon D7500 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow