DIY Focus Calibration Fix for Laowa 7.5mm f/2.0 that Doesn't Reach Infinity Focus

Started Aug 9, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
wiryawan
wiryawan Regular Member • Posts: 232
DIY Focus Calibration Fix for Laowa 7.5mm f/2.0 that Doesn't Reach Infinity Focus

DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible for your action, do this at your own risk. You could damage the lens, or worst make the lens even unusable. The warranty will be void and it could degrade the value of your Laowa lens.

Hi, maybe some of you already know that I posted a few days ago about my experience of using the Laowa 7.5mm f/2.0 on my recent travel. Basically, my lens can't reach to infinity focus, no matter how I adjust the focus ring on the lens. It can only focus to about 2-4 meters away from me, and it really shows at f/2.0.

So I decided to repair and fix this issue myself. First of all thank you to whoever post the link to the Samyang 7.5mm FE focus fix on my other thread. My post was inspired by that.

I wrote an elaborated post about that here: https://bejophotographyblog.blogspot.co.id/2017/08/diy-focus-calibration-repair-on-laowa.html

Basically what I did:

1. Unscrew all the 4 screws that hold the bayonet mount to the lens, and removed the bayonet mount from the lens.

2. Unscrew the inner 4 screws that hold the rear element to the core of the lens that attaches to the focusing mechanism.

3. Add 4 pieces of paper of about 0.5cm x 0.2cm each, and double tape them to the part of the rear element that has the screw holes on the side that faces toward the core of the lens.

4. Screw all the screws back, and put everything back together.

5. Do some test to find the new infinity point on the focus ring by focusing on objects that are about 5 meters away from the lens at f/2.0. If the focus reaches way beyond infinity, then I re-do steps 1 to 4 and use thinner pieces of paper for step 3.

6. Mark the new infinity focus point on the focus ring if necessary.

What I did does fix the focus problem on my lens completely. At one point I wasn't careful and I put pieces of paper that aren't uniform in thickness, so it introduced de-centering on my lens. But I fixed that too by using the same piece of paper for all the pieces of paper that I tape to the rear element. I couldn't find any other defect that was caused by my fixing method.

I hope this post is useful for you. If anyone has a better method for fixing this issue, then post it here too so you can help others that need to fix their Laowa 7.5mm. Thank you

-- hide signature --

Best wishes,
Gary
ig: bejophotography
blog: http://bejo-photography,blogspot.com and http://bejophotographyblog.blogspot.com

wiryawan's gear list:wiryawan's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +14 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow