Olympus OM-D E-M5 usage in very low temperatures

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
robplum New Member • Posts: 9
Re: Olympus OM-D E-M5 usage in very low temperatures

My Olympus OM-D E-M1 camera is freezing up in -3 degrees, i recommend you check other brands (perhaps Sony) rather than the Olympus. First time Olympus ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 ii lens was fitted then yesterday in similar conditions i fitted the M.Zuiko ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 ii lens. Both times it froze within minutes after taking the camera out of a warm vehicle. In both instance camera produced one image like blank white peace of paper. The Olympus M.Zuiko ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 ii lens i understood along with the camera (less than two years old) were freeze proof but clearly is not.

Though i just purchased a new replacement Olympus OM-D E-M1 mkii body, my experiences with the two Olympus OM-D E-M1 cameras has been a really sad story, looks like both Olympus OM-D E-M1 cameras have bit the dust (second is still working once I left the cooler weather (but was no lower than -3 deg) however I've brought the Olympus OM-D E-M1 mkii body because i enjoy birding.
I've found the Olympus preforms better over distance with moving targets, better than the Sony that i tried to replace the first deceased Olympus OM-D E-M1 when its mainframe finally died. However the Olympus OM-D E-M1 mkii is having trouble gathering detail, it is very very fast, and i've stepped it two clicks slower to help it gather detail and have registered the lens in its menu to.
Olympus OM-D E-M1 mkii is quite good in good light, but only with shorter distant shots, certainly not as good as the Olympus OM-D E-M1 with firmware version 3 update in it was.
Firmware update four in my opinion wrecked the Olympus OM-D E-M1 cameras focusing ability i think we were used as guinea pigs with firmware 4 update.

I've found Olympus's lack of product support rather painful / lot of hip pocket pain to, i did receive this reply back from Japan even if unhelpful i suppose i got a reply: -

Thank you for your e-mail again.

Your disappointment is understandable if the quality of the camera and lens were not as good as expected.

We are sorry that we are unable to offer you satisfactory service.

Thank you very much for your precious feedback.

Best regards,

C.Nishino

Customer Support Center

OLYMPUS CORP. Tokyo, Japan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow