Tech Support for Printers

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
soloryb Senior Member • Posts: 2,253
Re: Tech Support for Printers

bobframe wrote:

You make a good distinction.

I can happily deal with anybody's accent, as long as the individual can be understood. And effectiveness at understanding the technical issue and knowing how to solve it is really most important. I don't care what the geographical location of the support center is...I just want my problem solved.

Having said this, some companies give great tech support (Apple comes to mind) while others are horrific. Thought it would be useful to get a read on this upfront since its unlikely that I will avoid tech support during my next printer ownership experience.

A point I failed to make upfront is that I will be using this printer with a Mac...sometimes that can make a huge difference in telephone tech support.

Thanks for helping!

Bob

Apple? - Their tech support is in a class by itself, according to Consumer Mag and my own experience with them (My wife only uses Mac and i* stuff and I've had to deal with their tech support from time to time - mostly about printer connectivity.)

However, weren't you looking at printers from companies such as HP, Canon, etc?

I do remember those Mac/printer issues and mostly they were about using Apple AirPrint or joining the printer to a wi-fi net. This was a few years ago and we had to get a printer that was AirPrint ready. Nowadays, she connects her HP printer to a wi-fi network with her Mac Air book and her ipads and iphone with very little difficulty.

Back to your particular situation: The top photo printer companies are Canon and Epson for fine art large format (I prefer Canon in this category). For a reasonably good photo multifunction printer, maybe HP (again my preference). These 3 companies all have relatively good tech support. Check reviews of individual printers on Amazon or Cnet or PC Mag.

As for getting problems solved, pick a good printer first and worry about the tech support second. Tech support is important, but the quality of the machine and the print it produces is more so.

Good luck in your search,

soloryb

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow