My iPhone 6 is better than my X100F

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
John Gellings Senior Member • Posts: 3,742
Re: Real Life Beats #SmartPhoneLife

57even wrote:

John Gellings wrote:

em jo photo wrote:

(3)

As you point out: smartphone photographs only look crisp on smartphones. If you try to print them big--gallery or wall art, double-truck album spreads, etc.--they fall apart.

Sure, they can't be printed huge, but I have seen iPhone photos on the walls of "prestigious" photo galleries in NYC and also published in books by major photography book publishers (Aperture, Twin Palms, etc). It is currently used by artists and photojournalists who know how to make a great photo with anything. Of course they use other cameras too, but sometimes the iPhone CAN be the best tool for a particular project. That said, of course it's complete nonsense to say the iPhone is better than a APSC sensor camera unequivocally.

Well, art doesn't have rules. Whether IQ matters is largely a matter of subject and intent. Landscape photographers would not get far with an iPhone, and I doubt wedding photographers would either. Or any commercial photographer, for that matter.

Ok, but you mentioned gallery and wall art...

John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rlx
rlx
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow