My iPhone 6 is better than my X100F

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP 57even Forum Pro • Posts: 11,338
Re: My iPhone 6 is better than my X100F

Alan Brown wrote:

57even wrote:

KeepCalm wrote:

yardcoyote wrote:

The phone camera is a snapshot camera exactly because the majority of its users are using it as just that- to record memories, events, moments in time, family history, etc., with minimal attention to more artistic elements.

The fact that it is a much, much better camera than a Brownie or an Instamatic is a matter of technical progress. The extensive software and computing power in the phone enables the phone camera to pay attention to at least some of those more artistic elements for the snapshooter, resulting in much nicer results. The ease of use element is the same.

"Snapshot camera" is description of a function, not a level of quality.

Edit: I am a camera user myself but find it a struggle when people around me get better pictures in social settings with their Samsung Galaxys and I am sure unless you are a real expert this does hurt even if you can fix the image later. OK pixel peep them and the subtleties show but it can be embarrassing at the time. It is the new reality like it or not.

A lot of that has to do with practice. There are far more variables to control on an advanced camera, and that takes a little more understanding.

Fixing the image later is seldom necessary, or even advisable, but it's not always blindingly obvious what's wrong with the image in the first place.

agree.. I mentioned in another post here that many phone (and P&S images are both contrasty and saturated as opposed the the wider DR of almost anything with a larger APSC sensor (that's why we buy them.. for control of where the DR should be placed)

So if you want to simplify things on your (insert brand \model) camera, the thing to do is to boost saturation (or simply select vivid) and boost sharpness then show off your images instantly to the youthful crowd around you without embarrassment .. at least you should be able to do something better later with the RAWs

That helps, but what I noticed about the iPhone is that it automatically tries and rein in highlights and boost shadows (with NR) if the scene has a lot of contrast. It actually changes the tone curve.

You can do this using the DR function on the X100, but it's not quite as well optimised. However, it does produce a JPEG thats editable, as opposed to one that isn't.

Editing JPEGs is always a viable option, and probably the best way to sharpen them. In-camera sharpening is pretty messy.

-- hide signature --

Reporter: "Mr Gandhi, what do you think of Western Civilisation?"
Mahatma Gandhi: "I think it would be a very good idea!"

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rlx
rlx
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow