My iPhone 6 is better than my X100F

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Alan Brown
Alan Brown Veteran Member • Posts: 5,532
I understand your enthusiasm for smartphone cameras..

thenoilif wrote:

That was just the iPhone 6, the 7's camera is a considerable improvement. The rumored specs for the 8 could continue to close the gap even more.

That's the thing, smartphone cameras are now able to produce images that rival a majority of the shots that are being created by the average 'pro'.

Part of this is due to the power of photo processing and the processing power of these phones. The other part is that the phones are not viewed as cameras but as a tool to share one's creativity.

People argue all day along about camera systems, which typically are camera + lenses. Smartphones have their own system that is not just about the camera in the phone but the apps (lenses) and social media. It's all designed to make expressing people's creativity as easy as possible. People who use smartphones are able to focus more on the composition of the photo instead of having to change settings on the camera, monkey around with changing lenses or carrying heavy equipment, not to mention the crazy costs for said equipment.

I said similar in the post above.. BUT this statement.

They pretty much ensure that you don't miss a shot, at least in some types of photography.

is a bit of a stretch. 'don't miss a shot'. You may be saying that in the sense that you 'have the phone with you' but my experience is far from not missing the 'actual' shot.. they are not reliable for that IMO.

They have a useful part to ply in social setting of course. I can't deny that.

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rlx
rlx
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow