My iPhone 6 is better than my X100F

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Veteran Member • Posts: 8,801
Re: My iPhone 6 is better than my X100F

K29er wrote:

The main thing I don't understand is that my 4year old phone is basically a low level mirrorless camera that nails focus 99% of the time but new mirrorless cameras are just getting there now? I understand there a big differences in image quality but good auto focus should not be a major selling feature these days.

Pretty easy to nail focus with a small sensor and very large DOF.  Totally unfair comparison if you're trying to put this in the same league with larger sensor mirrorless cameras that have far less DOF to play with (unless, of course, they are stopped down considerably).

For serious photography with cameras that have more sophisticated AF systems, this will always be more of an issue.  Dealing with various tracking modes, different AF zones types and sizes, etc. all go way beyond what the average mobile phone can do.  They put more of a burden on the photographer to understand how to get the best out of the camera and unfortunately also open the door to more user errors and a more lengthy learning curve.  There's a place for the simplicity and versatility of the highly functional cameras in modern cellphones, but for serious photography, they're no replacement for a decent mirrorless camera or DSLR IMHO.  Apples and oranges.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rlx
rlx
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow