New ZS models compared to old ZS3?

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Andrew Mitchell Senior Member • Posts: 1,738
New ZS models compared to old ZS3?

I recently posted parts of this in the Sony forum - asking about the HX90V - but got no answers. Hope I have more luck here!

In 2009 I bought a Panasonic ZS3 (25 – 300 mm), which was great fun to use when I didn't want to carry my big Sony A700 and lenses around.

I had trouble with the image quality though, and after about 8 months I sold it on. (I pixel-peeped a lot more back then.)

As my main camera at the moment is the fixed lens 28mm Fujifilm X70, there are times when I feel the need for a bit of pulling power, so I've been thinking of getting a modern day version of the old ZS3.

My question is about whether the 1/2.3" sensor technology has advanced over the years. Am I going to be seeing a marked improvement in quality over my old ZS3 photos? The sensor is the same size, but the zoom is over double the reach.

Should I be looking at the newer 20MP ZS70, or the slightly older 12MP ZS50? Logic suggests that there would be less noise in a 12MP camera.

I'm of course not expecting quality anything like my APS-C X70, or my DSLR, but I do want something half decent.

Any input would be most welcome.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Andrew (Brit expat in Taipei, Taiwan since 1985)

Sony A55

Fujifilm X70

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 (Lumix DC-TZ90) Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 (Lumix DMC-TZ7) Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow