Is there a future for Pentax Kmount?

Started Jul 31, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tatouzou
Tatouzou Senior Member • Posts: 1,610
Is there a future for Pentax Kmount?

The numerous threads about Ricoh Imaging collapsing sales have focused on mirror less vs DSLR.

But, like many of us invested in Kmount system, my main concern is whether Kmount will survive in 2022.

This stops me to buy any Kmount extra gear. I recently needed some service on my Pentax gear and the local service station in the south of France first said they could handle it but returned it to me after a few weeks, saying it is too difficult now to get Pentax OEM spare parts.

Companies die, even some previous market leaders died.

When Ricoh bought Pentax, I hoped that it might at least allow the Kmount to survive like Sony allowed the survival of Minolta's mount.

But it looks like Ricoh core business (printers and copiers) is not going well and thus they are forced to restructure and get rid of unprofitable divisions outside their main business.

And I fear Pentax cameras need a lot more money in R&D than what they can get from their sales or from Ricoh Imaging.

Thus I wonder which industry leader with deep pockets might be interested in the Pentax camera business?

In a shrinking and very competitive market, I don't believe any big Japanese company might be interested.

In Korea, Samsung is not interested in the camera business any more, they are focused on smartphones; LG is focused on OLED large screens.

IMO, only a fast growing Chinese company may want to challenge the Japanese camera companies and thus be interested in buying the Pentax know how, patents, and once famous reputation.

Hope this white knight will come so that Kmount still exists, either directly, like Minolta's mount through Sony SLT, or via OEM adapters like Olympus 4/3.

-- hide signature --
 Tatouzou's gear list:Tatouzou's gear list
Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +21 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow