How much of an upgrade is the A7r2 really?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
darrinlingle
darrinlingle Contributing Member • Posts: 802
Re: How much of an upgrade is the A7r2 really?

BBQue wrote:

JeffGM wrote: So many people say the A7r2 is much better at higher ISO's. My A7m2 is about 1.2 stops better than my A77m2 and the A7r2 is only about .6 stops better than my A7m2

But that is looking at full size images, is it not? If you downsample the A7rii file to 24MP to make it comparable to you A7ii file, then you get more than 1 stop in better ISO. If you downsample to 12MP, you get the same high ISO performance as on A7sii.

Also, it is not just absolute noise levels, but also noise quality. I find the A7rii noise very pleasant and film like, so I usually don't reduce it at all - (my Capture One setting is 0% luminance noise reduction and about 40-50% chroma noise reduction).

i love my a7ii but you're tempting me to get the a7rii.

the biggest gains from what i've read is the noise and focus speed advantages. another huge advantage which i don't see much about is the better auto-iso where there's a minimum shutter speed you can set (like Nikon).

besides the huge price difference, the biggest disadvantage is the large filesize. too bad there's not a sRaw or a lower resolution raw that wouldn't change the effective focal length of the lens.

-- hide signature --

Darrin Lingle, Colorado

darrinlingle's gear list:darrinlingle's gear list
Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R III Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow