Is it a Macro or Close up?

Started Jul 22, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
terryreid
terryreid Senior Member • Posts: 1,397
Is it a Macro or Close up?

This may seem like a silly question particularly for someone who has so many images shot with a Sony 90 Macro F2.8

I think the difference between a close up and Macro is when the image is 1:1 in size but how do you know when that is? As near as I can tell I shoot closeups and very close  a lot but perhaps not a macro in the true sense of the word. The 90 does not have any settings that switch it into Macro mode like the 100mm STF so how does a person know if they are shooting a Macro or just a closeup.

Are these photos macro's or closeups and how could you tell if I cropped a closeup to look like a Macro?

These were all taken with 90 Macro but I think a Batis 135 or other could do the same thing but would that be a Macro?

It does not make much difference as far as the end result is concerned I don't think but I am probably not the only person who could use some clarification on the subject.

-- hide signature --

Please do not put words in my mouth. Nothing can be further from the truth.

terryreid's gear list:terryreid's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a9 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA +16 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow