FE 16-35 f/2.8 GM arrived, quick comparizon with FE 16-35 f/4

Started Jul 21, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sidath Senanayake Regular Member • Posts: 137
FE 16-35 f/2.8 GM arrived, quick comparizon with FE 16-35 f/4

Hi all,

I received my 1635GM today from Wex in the UK. I preordered on the night that the preorders came in. Wex told me that they had enough stock to fulfil all preorders so I wouldn't be surprised to see many others getting their copies in the UK today or early next week.

I took it out for a very quick comparison against the Sony-Zeiss 16-35 and I'm not seeing much improvement in resolution at landscape apertures. Before anyone tells me that this is not scientific -- I know. I popped out of work for a few minutes to do this test and didn't use a tripod or manual focus etc. since I don't want to get fired (how would I pay for the lens if I did?  )

Sony-Zeiss / 16mm / f8

GM / 16mm / f8

I'm most intersted in this lens at 16mm and so far it doesn't look like it's worth 2x the price for this use case. The GM was slightly better when compared at f/4 but only really noticeable at 100% when you look really hard.

The center is impressively sharp at all apertures and focal lengths (and many focal distances) so for non-landscape uses this lens will be great. Also, ergonomically it's only slightly longer than the Sony-Zeiss. In use, I didn't notice any difference in weight or balance. I also prefer the strong polycarbonate construction over the scratch-prone Sony-Zeiss metal.

HTH,
Sid

Sidath Senanayake's gear list:Sidath Senanayake's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R Sony RX1R II Sony a7R II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow