Cycling DSLR Backpack (or insert)

Started Jul 19, 2017 | Questions thread
TheBlackGrouse
TheBlackGrouse Veteran Member • Posts: 3,461
Re: Cycling DSLR Backpack (or insert)

zuestman wrote:

Agree with your post, just adding.

While not cheap, the F-stop Guru UL works with their ICU system, is small, light (for a camera pack) and carries really well.

The F-Stop Kenti is also very good. It's a different design with an 'in-built' ICU. Would have bought it but we never seem to receive version 2 over here.

Otherwise the EVOC camera packs (18l works great) also has a side hyrdation, and a side access so you aren't fully removing the pack to pull the camera with attached lens off.

EVOC is great. Fast access is very important for wildlife shooters. It happens that you see something while cycling. Then you have to shoot from the saddle. You can't leave the bike, put the pack on the ground etc. All animals will be long gone. You need a pack that can be turned in front of your body or one with side access.

For an insert some of the Tenba inserts (BYOB series) are solid, but still a little softer. They will slide into a pack that you already have.

Neither will fully protect the camera in a fall, but are some of the best.

No pack can do this, but you have other things to worry about when you fall, your own health.

And having been a mtn biker for the past 20years, and many of that riding with a hydration pack, and also commuting with backpacks...don't listen to the naysayers. It is hotter, it will make your back a little sore at first, but it also strengthens your back and if the load is low and handled mostly by the waistbelt you will be fine. If I have to carry something i always prefer to do it with a back pack. Also, for protecting your gear, your body will act as suspension and stop a lot of the vibration from going into your gear.

Know what you mean, I'm a mountainbiker too for decades. The waistbelt is only needed to secure the pack, so that is does not move on your back.

Contrary to hiking packs the weight has to be low, definitely not at shoulder height or higher. Therefore you can't hike very well with cycling backpacks. But that's not a problem as cycling is the main activity.

Totally agree, you body is the best suspension system.

With 6 kg on your back, you don't feel anything, at 8 it starts to get a bit difficult, 10 kg or more is not recommended, also because of balance issues.

Hope that helps a bit more than some of the other messages.

Well, we are talking about mountain/racing bikes, high speed and long distances, others may think about short trips on city bikes. As long as they are cycling and contribute to clean air I'm fine with it

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse
Active Outdoor Photographer

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow