Cycling DSLR Backpack (or insert)

Started Jul 19, 2017 | Questions thread
Adrian Tung
Adrian Tung Veteran Member • Posts: 3,889
Re: Cycling DSLR Backpack (or insert)

JRM PT wrote:

Hi,

I've decided to loose some weight (being over 40 sucks;-)) and a nice way to do it is by cycling. I leave in 10-15 minutes distance of a nice woods that is often called "Lisbon's lung" as it is its biggest green area. It's also home of several birds, plants, flowers, etc. Many things to take nice pictures. I've decided that I'll get only the D5300 with the 70-300 and the micro 105 just in case. A flash only if I'm able to squeeze it in (my i40 is quite small and has its own (lightly) padded nylon bag.

It doesn't need to be too big (camera and lenses fit in a 240x200x100mm space) but it must protect my gear in case I fall from my bike. Comfort (riding) and low weight will be a plus factor.

I can use one of my casual backpacks if I find a proper shockproof insert.

Any experience or suggestion?

I occasionally use a MindShift Gear Ultralight Sprint 16L if I want to carry my m4/3 gear with me. While my gear isn't as big as your Nikon setup, but I've managed to cram a Canon 5D Mark III with 24-70/4 lens in as well, so it should fit your smaller DLSR.

However, that being said, I do not really recommend carrying that much weight on your back while cycling. Even my Canon camera experiment was just an experiment to see if it would fit -- but I wouldn't want that sort of hard and heavy equipment on my back for any sort of moderate to long distance on a bike.

These days, unless I really wanted higher IQ of my other cameras, I typically just stash a Sony RX100 Mark III in a Topeak Fuel Tank top tube bag.

Adrian Tung's gear list:Adrian Tung's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus Tough TG-870 Sony RX100 VI Sony ZV-1 Olympus PEN-F +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow