Best techniques for maximizing N1 (V2,V3) performance

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
VadymA Senior Member • Posts: 1,177
Re: Best techniques for maximizing N1 (V2,V3) performance

Hi Don,

I realized after my post that I should have mentioned that the in-camera settings are applied when opening in NX-D only. Other programs don't use those settings and apply their own default algorithms for opening RAW files. So my findings may not be relevant to those who don't use NX-D. And of course raw data is not affected in any case, just the output that we see on the screen and which will be converted to JPEG later.

If you are not using NX-D, I suppose you can still test whether the same effect happens in your softwares. Maybe default sharpening algorithm during initial conversion is too strong as well adding too much grain to the image and if you find the way to reduce it you may get better results in DXO or any other noise reduction software you are using. Just a thought.

I am using my thumb test to reduce the number of camera/lens startups to save battery and potentially life of the system. We all know how fragile it could be. If the thumb nail appears much bigger than the subject I know that it will not fill the frame the way I want and I often don't even raise the camera and move to something else

VadymA's gear list:VadymA's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow