s120 custom settings retention - SOLVED (I think)

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
DrHook59
DrHook59 Forum Member • Posts: 79
s120 custom settings retention - SOLVED (I think)

Hi everyone. This is a quick question to see if anyone can throw some light on a wee problem I have.

I just received back from repair my s120 (it went away for a lens issue). It has also come back with an annoying habit of losing all my custom settings when I turn it off. All my parameters in C disappear, and all my custom functions also go AWOL. Finally my settings menu also changes from whatever I have elected to see in it to the default cluster. Try as I might I can't find a way round it.

Camera was bought in 2014, so I am assuming it is not the internal battery at fault. Besides, date and time remain constant at the moment though I have had to reset that too.

Anyone have any ideas?

SOLUTION:

I seem to have resolved this thanks to an obscure post on an old thread on a now very defunct forum, but apparently a 'Power Re-set' is what is required in this instance. This seems to be a piece of Canon advice, too.

To effect this, you power down the camera, remove battery and card, and then hold in the power button for a minute. Release, re-insert battery and card, and voilá, everything falls into place.

I had no clue about this little operation, but it seems to have solved my problem, and all my settings are now suddenly retained and the bits of the menu that I could not get at before are now available again. I was very sceptical when I read about this, but thought I'd give it a go. The fact that it has worked has somewhat surprised me, to be honest, but there we go.....

If nothing else, I hope this may help someone else, sometime.

DrHook59's gear list:DrHook59's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot S120 Canon EOS D60
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon PowerShot S120
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow