A6300 + LA-EA3 + SAL70400G - disappointed on AF

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
m2onen Junior Member • Posts: 34
A6300 + LA-EA3 + SAL70400G - disappointed on AF

I recently got an A-mount Sony 70-400G (the first edition) for a good deal and bought also LA-EA3 as I had read that with the new E-mount cameras, such as A6300, the autofocus should be very good.

After today's first test sessions, I have to say I am disappointed on the AF performance. I tried photographing birds and sometimes it even took like 5+ seconds to acquire focus, even when I had the 3m-infinity setting selected on the lens. And there was a lot of hunting. Not unusable but really difficult to shoot especially birds in flight.

Am I doing something wrong here? I have phase-detection AF enabled, tried both wide and center spot, tried both with older and the latest firmwares for both A6300 and LA-EA3. Am I missing some setting or something?

m2onen's gear list:m2onen's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a6300 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +4 more
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow