Comparison: D4 vs. X-T2

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,987
Comparison: D4 vs. X-T2

So, we had a contentious posting the other day with the OP suggesting that he was very disappointed with the "color and punch" of the D4 raw files compared with his X-T1.  This post devolved into the usual forum bickering and was eventually locked.

The OP was asked several times to post examples.  He failed to do so.  What I am doing here is to post close samples.  I don't own the X-T1.  I do own the X-E2, same sensor as the X-T1.  I should have used that I suppose.  In any event, what I have here is two samples comparing the Nikon D4 vs. the Fuji X-T2.

The Nikon D4 was used with the Sigma 50mm Art lens.  The Fuji was paired with the 18-55 @ 35mm.  This is not a fair comparison if one was judging resolution/sharpness.  But that's not the point here.  This is only about raw conversion and color/punch.

You can argue with this (some will, I'm sure) but exposure parameters between the cameras were not the same..  Both were set to ISO 800 (that was the light in the room).  The D4 was set to f/5 @ 1/125s.  The X-T2 was set to f/3.6 @ 1/160s.  The difference in settings was intentional in order to keep the DOF roughly the same between the two sensor formats.

Images from both cameras were brought into Adobe ACR.  Both images were set to use Adobe Standard camera profile.  Both images were white balanced using the ColorChecker Passport in the image.  Exposure was also checked using the CC Passport but no exposure adjustment was needed.  Everything else in ACR is off or at 0 settings.

So below are your two images.  What do you think?  Does Adobe fail to deliver on D4 raw files?  There are slight differences between the files.  I have my opinions as to which is more accurate but I'll let the audience here contribute their opinions first.

Enjoy!

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E +23 more
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow